Here’s 10 basic steps to write a Script for your favorite show.
1. Pick a show you are passionate about and in production.
2. Watch it armed with a pen and pad.
3. Get 3-4 scripts from the show
4. Do Deep Analysis – Figure out the structure.
4a. Determine A,B, C stories with the Story Template
4b. Create a Character Breakdown
4c. Get an idea of scene length with the scene length matrix
5. Brainstorm story ideas into a Premise or Log Line.
6. Create a 3-4 page ‘treatment’ – what happens.
7. Use index cards to write scenes for your A story, then B, then C.
8. Write an outline from your cards
9. Write a draft – fairly quickly
10. Rewrite. Make sure it has the feel, length, style and thematic weight of the show by using the tools above to break down your own script.